Transfer Complete

I remember watching an interview once, in which Tori Amos mentioned that being pregnant is feeling like your body is an ecosystem.

It took a couple of hours after transfer this time to feel it, but I know what she means; even if I am not “officially” pregnant. I walked out of the Reprofit clinic feeling normal – if not a little sore in the bits – and wanting to grab a bite to eat. I hopped on the tram, then walked around a bit, and settled on a 2nd floor restaurant near my hotel called Padowitz (the gulas there is AMAZING, btw.). After eating, I padded around the streets a bit more before heading back to the Grandhotel Brno where, as I was walking up the steps, the feeling hit me that I had some precious cargo on board. My body, for the moment, was not just me. I was providing a safe haven for two fragile, microscopic embryos that may or may not decide they like me, fully attach, and continue to grow into little humans. It’s an odd feeling.

But I should start at the beginning. Flying in to Prague on Sunday was almost like flying in to home after being away for a while. The feeling of recognition and giddy excitement to smell the air and hear the language was really quite overwhelming. I landed at about 3:15 and immediately caught the bus to the subway lines. **Note: I’ll have to update my “Czech Transportation” post, but there has been construction/addition to the green line. Instead of taking Bus 119 to Dejvická, Bus 119 now takes you to Nádraží Veleslavín, which is the new transfer point from the airport bus to the green line. All else is the same: transfer from the green line to red at Muzeum, and exit at Hlavní Nádraží to catch the train to Brno. (See below)

Prague Subway

I got in to Brno around 7pm local time and checked into the Grand. After food and a shower, I passed out until the next morning. As a side note, at the Tesco next to the Grand, you can get wonderful, relaxing Czech herbal bath salts by the name of  Tetesept. They come in a variety of formulas; for muscle aches, relaxation, cold relief, detox, and many more. Dump a packet into a tub of hot water, and you’re in for some soaking bliss. I still haven’t found anything like them in the States, so I’ve made sure to stock up when I’m here. Anyway, after a jelly feeling-inducing bath, I made my way to the clinic.

Everyone was as nice as I remembered them, and the clinic just as bright and clean. I checked in and had a seat while waiting for Dr. Hana (LOVE her!). While waiting, I also presented Eva with a box of Cheez-Its I had brought from America. She loves the crispy snack, but they don’t have them here in Czech. If you go to Reprofit, and want to make a woman happy, bring her a big box of Cheez-Its. Lol.

Once in with Dr. Hana, we went over my embryo report. I had received an email on day 3 of embryo cultivation, letting me know that out of 10 eggs, 7 fertilized. I had 3 x 8-cell embryos, 2 x 7-cell embryos, and 2 x 6-cell embryos. On transfer day – day 5 of embryo cultivation, Dr. Hana let me know I had 1 x grade 1 expanding blastocyst, 1 x grade 1 blastocyst, 1 x grade 2 blastocyst, 2 x compact morulas, 1 x morula, and 1 x 8-cell. That last embryo was considered as arrested development; I would have transferred the two grade 1 embryos, and they would wait to check on development on day 6 to see if any of the other embryos will be good enough to freeze for a possible future FET (frozen embryo transfer). I also received a report (personal info removed) and an information sheet:




And for the main stars of this show? At the top is an expanding blastocyst; the mass of cells in the center (called the Inner Cell Mass, or ICM) will (hopefully!) become the fetus, and the cells along the outer rim (called the trophectoderm or TE) will become the placenta. You can see the clear layer around the embryo; that is a thinning zona pelucida (protective layer/shell around the embryo…it thins out just before the embryo is ready to “hatch.”). The bottom embryo is a blastocyst; it is in the very early stages of beginning to expand – the ZP is still quite thick – but you can see the beginnings of separation into an ICM, TE, and a fluid-filled blastocoele cavity. I found the Advanced Fertility website very helpful in reading about my blasts.



After transfer, as mentioned above, I sought out some food and walked a small bit before heading back to my room. I started some mild cramping a few hours after transfer, but like the ladies on the Reprofit Facebook page said, I’d just had my bits poked and prodded…cramping was to be expected. At that point, still exhausted from travel and time change – with a belly full of yummy food – I took to my bed and stayed there for a good long time. Sleep, then reading, then sleeping again, for the most part of 24 hours. It felt very good to laze around and rest! Though today I did get outside to walk around for about an hour, in order to get my blood flowing. I must say, this is MUCH better than my previous two trips here. Those times, I was up and walking/traveling only a couple of hours after transfer. It’s quite nice to kick back and relax while the babycakes (as my stepson calls them) settle themselves.

Aaaand……it’s a waiting game. I am currently 1dp5dt (one day past 5-day transfer). For my first DE IVF, I had exactly enough patience to make it to 4dp5dt (mostly because I absolutely knew that any test before that would have very much been negative). Even then, it was a real squinter and didn’t show properly until 5dp5dt. We’ll see how long I last this time. 🙂

So for now, I bid you adieu, and will update with more as it comes to me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s